Ding Novel is Done: A Stroy of Cute Boys, Romance, Kissing, and Lightning

May 15, 2011  Author: Anthony Pacheco Category: The Craft   6 Comments

Last night I finished my current work-in-progress, The Lightning Giver.

What an amazing journey! I can’t wait to get it into the hands of my beta readers after my Secret Squirrel Alpha Reader has given it a whirl. The novel needs an editing pass, and I’m eager to get opinions of the work.

The Lightning Giver is contemporary young adult and I wrote it in eight months. By far, this was the most challenging and difficult novel to write. Normally I take four to six months.

What’s the book about? It’s about love, of course! DUH. AND KISSING.

If I had to write a teaser, right off the top of my head, like RIGHT NOW, like, I have not put any thought into this AT ALL (really!), it would be something like this:

Before the accident, Sarah and Brandon were two normal Colorado teens, mostly kind, somewhat self-absorbed, and enamored with kissing each other.

When they kissed their world faded away, and while finding true love at a tender age was sweet and romantic, even a little sexy, the lightning bolt that interrupted their latest suck-face marathon was painful and horrific.

As they wake up from their comas, Sarah and Brandon realize that all they have left of their old life is each other. As the weeks of recovery turn into months and the months turn into years, they slowly realize the lightning strike may just be a warm up for the real trouble ahead.

Yeah, that needs work. It is a tease, though.

6 comments on: Ding Novel is Done: A Stroy of Cute Boys, Romance, Kissing, and Lightning

1. J.C May 15, 2011 at 12:32 pm

It IS a tease tho. And you know I want to read it 🙂 Well done on getting it done!

• Anthony May 15, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Thank you Cassie, you are such a sweetheart!

I’m going to let the sucker fester for a few weeks.

2. Steven D Jackson May 19, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Hehe! This looks good! This “lightning striking kissers” idea wasn’t inspired by Valentines Day was it? I have to admit to wanting a few vengeful lightning strikes every now and then on 14th February! Looking forward to the book!

• Anthony May 19, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Hi Steve,

The idea for this novel came from a Twitter conversation, of all things, about [redacted]. I was thinking, “what would happen if a boy and a girl [redacted]. Then I went “Oooooo that’s high concept!” Then I started writing.

3. Emmaline Hoffmeister, Rhemalda May 24, 2011 at 9:34 pm

It is a wonderful feeling, the moment that you pen ‘The End’ to a masterpiece.

Penning a manuscript in 8 months is a wonderful accomplishment.

Keep up the writing!

Emmaline

• Anthony May 24, 2011 at 10:46 pm

Thank you! I have a no-edit policy for two weeks after I finish a manuscript, and it’s killing me ignoring My Baby. Any moment now, I expect my laptop to whisper “No one puts Baby in the corner!” and open the file on its own.

Right now I am working on my sexy Space Opera with the working title Stuff Blowing Up in Space.

I normally take 4 to 6 months for a 100k manuscript. The Lightning Giver, however, was a leap forward for me. It took me several months to produce the plot threads that would result in the emotional impact the story deserved.

I’m actually a little fearful of it. “The Pilot” had many of my blog readers in tears. This novel makes “The Pilot” look like the ingredient list for a box of corn flakes. If my blog goes dark for over a month, that probably is an indication one of my beta readers has killed me. Don’t call the police, I deserved it.