The Heart of a Warrior Never Lies

May 28, 2010  Author: Anthony Pacheco Category: Anthonyisms, Characterization, The Craft   7 Comments

The heart of a warrior never lies. It is a thing of purity, a deadly beauty more real than a thousand, thousand truths. The warrior, in her singular moment of honesty, is both everything and nothing. She is everything because she has broken down an entire conflict to a singular twinkling of violence.

She is nothing because she simply becomes an agent of choice. There is no right. There is no wrong. There is only choice, and her heart chooses for her. In the space between rational thought and instinct, between the familiar and the new, between skill and tenacity, lies the event horizon of truth.

This warrior hears her heart. The beating is more than life-blood; it is the affirmation of the gestalt of life. She listens to her heart not because she has to, but because it is all she can do. All that she is.

At this moment, this warrior is the most deadly. At this moment, nothing can match her.

At this moment, she is a goddess. All the other moments are nothing. She knows this to be true, because the heart of a warrior, a true warrior, never lies.

7 comments on: The Heart of a Warrior Never Lies

1. Alex Moore May 28, 2010 at 6:32 am

i love this piece. esp the first paragraph. but i’m still struggling with the concept that for the warrior there is no right or wrong.

it seems to me that a warrior would only be fighting for what she believed to be right (even the mercenary, if the money’s right). if the heart is pure, the warrior is pure, thus the warrior choose rightly. (on the other hand, there have undoubtedly been many great warriors who did exactly what they were told, whether it was right or not.)

And the heart? Forgive my rough translation, but isn’t there a martial artist believe that a strong mind = a strong body? Isn’t this the building block of the warrior? to be reduced to heart seems brutish. if you control the mind, the body follows — regardless of reality or harm or injuries…which is ultimately the most dangerous weapon/enemy to face.

anyway, too many thoughts this early in the am 🙂 missed my walk to think this through…you’re that awesome

2. Anthony May 28, 2010 at 11:26 am

Ah, my friend, you are being literal and abstract in the wrong places. Through no fault of your own, of course. I was feeling mystical and my cocktail was tasty beyond measure.

When I said, “There is no right. There is no wrong,” I mean literally, but in the context of choice at a singular moment of violence, not in the context of morality. Take the swing of the blade. Does she use a backhand slash? Alternatively, does she use an uppercut sweep? Her enemy is skilled. He can defend against one, but not effectively against the other. One is the right choice. One is the wrong choice.

How does the true warrior know this? Is it her training? Is it her knowledge? Is it her experience? It is none of these things, but it is all of these things taken as the gestalt of life. She is not the sum of her parts. She is more because she has moved beyond all the separate things that compose her. She has even moved beyond knowing what is true because she has become truth. Her next action comes from the heart, the center, the core; all that she is because of her “honesty” not to others but to herself.

And the heart of the true warrior never lies.

Who is this warrior? She’s one of the main characters from a novel I have not started. If this little snip of her character voice made you lose track of time, just wait. You will be sitting reading the novel and peer out at the creeping foredawn, eyes tired and heavy, but you’ll press on, just one more page. One more chapter. Just one more. Don’t look at me like that, husband. Go out and get me a latte. I’m almost done, I swear.

3. jschancellor May 28, 2010 at 11:48 am

Love it! It’s a great meditation for me today as I’m thinking about a character of my own who goes through a transformation of sorts, becomes a sort of warrior in her own right. This is beautifully written and thoughtfully paced. As always, reading your work is a pleasure!

4. jschancellor May 28, 2010 at 11:49 am

P.S. I’m looking forward to reading about your warrior when you finish!

5. Alex Moore May 28, 2010 at 10:43 pm

it clicks, and i’m with you…esp since i’ve a cocktail of my own tonight 🙂

and, since i was just wishing for a novel that would force me to read just one more chapter…i’m particularly irked that you haven’t penned her yet.

• Anthony May 28, 2010 at 11:21 pm

No irk-ing allowed! Ha ha!

6. Pingback: Embarrassment of Riches, Part II « Anthony Pacheco: Hack Writer