Shorts: I Used to Hate You But Now, Not So Much

April 13, 2010  Author: Anthony Pacheco Category: The Craft   12 Comments

I’m writing a short story. For the 8.3 followers of my blog, as you may recall, short stories are the reason why I had writer’s block for years. I sucked at it. Big time.

But, this one is turning out rather well, now that I have written four books (FOUR? FOUR!). It’s for a contest, with the only genre no-no is erotica. I read the rules and said, “I can do that.”

I have a 7,500 word limit, and I’m going to nail that sucker with some good old-fashioned charter driven sci-fi.

Who wants to read it? I’ll be done by the end off the week. Comment or send me mail.

12 comments on: Shorts: I Used to Hate You But Now, Not So Much

1. Cindy April 13, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Yes, would love to read it! I enjoy your writing style, and subject matter.

Cheers

• Anthony April 13, 2010 at 7:37 pm

Anything for you, Cindy.

You know I had the “Superior Dance” video file for like years, but finally it got lost in a hard drive crash.

Ha!

2. J.C April 13, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Good luck with the short. And the contest as well 🙂 You can totally do it.

I used to hate shorts as well, but I really like them now! Once you get the hand of it, you’ll be set.

I’ll have time to read/give feedback on it as well if you want.

• Anthony April 13, 2010 at 7:33 pm

You would loooove this short. It’s about Arune: The Early Years.

Betchya you wants it now!

• J.C April 13, 2010 at 8:23 pm

OOO Arune! Yup, I need it.

3. Lady Glamis April 13, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Well, I’d offer to read it, but I think it’s my contest you’re entering. 🙂

I can’t wait to see your work!

• Anthony April 13, 2010 at 7:35 pm

It is indeed for your contest!

I haven’t won a writing contest in over 25 years though, so I don’t have high expectations. Sure is fun to write, so there is that. 🙂

4. Gary Corby April 14, 2010 at 5:01 am

I probably count as the .3.

Just to play devil’s advocate for a moment, are you sure this is a legitimate contest? I only ask because there seem to be a lot of dodgy ones out there. Do keep in mind there are some decent emags looking for good stuff. Granted, they pay at most enough for a cup of coffee…

5. Tony Noland April 14, 2010 at 8:56 am

Would love to read, but am too swamped to be able to promise a timely critique.

8-(

6. Drang April 15, 2010 at 11:08 am

I recall that Heinlein said that short stories were much harder to write than novels. His example of his short-short “Searchlight”, written to be published as a sidebar to an electronics firms ads in Scientific American, and which took as long to write as Starship Troopers. Back when I was collecting rejection slips…