Looking back, looking forward

December 17, 2008  Author: Anthony Pacheco Category: The Craft   10 Comments

I started writing January 20, 2008 after a 23-year absence from fiction writing.

Or so I used to think.

Essentially, I am a new novelist focusing on speculative fiction. If I consider my crap that I wrote as a teen as  self-serving exercises, what I really am becomes clear. Thinking about that, I am going to quit saying I had writer’s block for so long. You cannot have writer’s block if you were not a writer!

I am a new writer after several abortive attempts. That is the only way to describe it.

Hello, my name is Anthony and I am a new writer!

Hi Anthony!

Anyway, since the end of January, I have written two books (one science fiction, one near-future science fiction) and am one-third through the third (Young Adult Fantasy).

Can I actually write three books in a year?

I believe I can. In fact, since I refuse to let book three go over 80,000 words, January 20, 2009 looks very doable.

What is book four? Well, if I gather any nibbles on Bunny Trouble, I will start on Bunny Theory. If not, I will work on an idea that has been brewing in my mind. A crime solver set off in the future. She is a pragmatic investigator—using her wits and intuition to avenge the dead and hurt—while attempting to keep her four husbands in line.

Written in first person point of view, oh my, that sounds deliciously fun.

Nom!

10 comments on: Looking back, looking forward

1. J.C December 17, 2008 at 3:12 pm

It does sound fun! four husbands? how does she find time to investigate anything?? lol
    You definitely CAN write three books in a year 🙂 Well done. It’s so great that you finally got into writing like you wanted to!

2. bjkeltz December 17, 2008 at 3:30 pm

Anthony is dipped in awesomesauce. Yup, he is.

3. Christina December 17, 2008 at 4:15 pm

Good luck on the goals. Keep your eye on the prize and don’t get held up by negative worries. 2009 will be very busy for you.

4. Anthony December 17, 2008 at 6:40 pm

Oh man you all are making me blush.

Thank you.

5. Anthony December 17, 2008 at 6:46 pm

J.C.,

She has Husband 1 for two nights, then Husbands 2 and 3 for two nights (at the same time), then Husband 4 for two nights. She gets Sunday off.

Aren’t I nice to give her Sunday off? I think so. I’m such a giver.

6. J.C December 17, 2008 at 9:19 pm

You are really kind to give her Sunday off 😉 Two husbands at the same time for two nights? lol intriguing!

7. Anthony December 17, 2008 at 9:30 pm

Husbands 2 and 3 really like each other. A lot. They came into the marriage as a pair.

8. Anthony December 17, 2008 at 9:57 pm

Husband 1 is her High School sweetheart.

Husband 2 and 3, she saved their lives in the War. They would follow her everywhere if she would let them. They are honorable men, and take their duties to her very seriously.

Husband 4 she married after a torrid affair arranged by Husband 1. Husband 4 is rich, but, more importantly, is a superb finance manager. She wasn’t supposed to fall in love, it was supposed to be a marriage of business needs only. Her heart had other plans, however.

She loves them all. Each one has his faults, yes, but each also stands out as men who love her, they rely on her strength just as she relies on theirs.

Sometimes her love is bittersweet. The War took her ability to have children. Sometimes she wonders if they would set her aside for someone who could carry on the family?

She knows it is a silly worry, but there it is, like an itch she can’t scratch.

Her work consumes her. She is a righteous woman, and she suffers no man’s evil.

9. Anthony December 17, 2008 at 10:14 pm

See? I think about stuff like this EVERY SINGLE HOUR of EVERY SINGLE DAY. It won’t stop. I can’t turn it off. It embraces me completely. My only escape is to write.

I love to entertain with words. But it’s also about self defense.

10. J.C December 19, 2008 at 11:43 am

Sounds really interesting. I’d read it!