The Pixie’s Song

November 24, 2008  Author: Anthony Pacheco Category: The Craft   6 Comments

Sometimes, when I write, music runs around in my head to the scene I am describing in raw, un-soundtrack-like fashion. Occasionally it is something I heard long ago, sometimes it is a recent memory. Other times it is even raw music I am composing in my head at the same time I am writing (although that usually results in my brain overloading).

Then, the opposite can occur: I hear a song, and I envision not a video, but a story in my mind. Consider the following example:

I recently heard this song again and immediately thought of a pixie, her human paladin lover, and his disapproving guardian. Why? I have been reading too much Pixie Warrior lately, I guess. But I think there is something else, something primitive about the way this song, contrasted by two singers, speaks about love, potential loss, and malevolence.

Stay
Lyrics by Shakespears Sister
~

If this world is wearing thin
And you’re thinking of escape
I’ll go anywhere with you
Just wrap me up in chains
But if you try to go out alone
Don’t think I’ll understand
Stay with me
Stay with me

In the silence of your room
In the darkness of your dreams
You must only think of me
There can be no in between
When your pride is on the floor
I’ll make you beg for more
Stay with me
Stay with me

You’d better hope and pray
That you make it safe
Back to your own world
You’d better hope and pray
That you’ll wake one day
In your own world
‘Cause when you sleep at night
They don’t hear your cries
In your own world
Only time will tell
If you can break the spell
Back in your own world

Stay with me
Stay with me
Stay, stay with me
Stay, stay, stay, stay, stay
Stay with me…

Included are two videos of this song. The first is of better audio quality and simply the lyrics and the occasional photo of the band duo. The second is the official video, a campy little number that pops back up on VH1 Classic Hits every now and then.

And:

6 comments on: The Pixie’s Song

1. Carrie Harris November 24, 2008 at 7:00 pm

Back in the days when I made mixtapes approximately once every five minutes, I put this song on EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM.

Pitiful, but ultimately true.

2. Anthony November 25, 2008 at 8:52 am

Ha ha ha you said “tape”. You have now dated yourself. :-p

Oh man the mixtape. Those were the days. I used to have three that I would listen to all the time:

“Bitter”, “Dance” and “Sap”.

Anyway, back to Stay, my wife introduced me to this song. I asked her which singer she identified with and she said “the one with the voice that sounds like she is going to GET YOU.” Then a year later I caught the video and went OMG OMG OMG.”

Anyway, a fine trip down the ’91-’92 memory lane.

3. Amber L. Smith November 25, 2008 at 1:27 pm

Not me. I see it as I would see a movie. I can’t stand noise when I work. I need silence. Wierd, huh?

4. Anthony November 25, 2008 at 1:43 pm

Not weird at all.

I am fluid (i.e., all over the place). Sometimes I have to have silence.

Other times, I need atmosphere. The fireplace going. A glass of wine. Soft music. Sometimes, I just need to be put in the mood.

Ooookay this comment thread is going south. :-p

5. Alex Moore November 25, 2008 at 6:28 pm

ok. that’s bizarre. i had been thinking that it was a rather sad song: I mean, who would want a love that’s chained? then i watched the video. and i thought that perhaps the young man might end up offing himself just to escape the two crazies.

6. Anthony November 25, 2008 at 6:55 pm

That’s why I included the non-video version! :-p

The official video is pure camp. Both singers love going over the top. That was their “thing.”

Personally, I like the sci-fi theme of the official video, but I don’t think the video as a whole works.