Rifle Digression: the wonderful urban-centric AR-10T

October 30, 2008  Author: Anthony Pacheco Category: Not Exactly Random   8 Comments
The Armalite AR-10T

The Armalite AR-10T

I own an Armalite AR-10T, identical (down to the scope!) of the one pictured here.

For you rifle inclined readers (there are three who read this blog), a brief rundown: My 24″ barreled Armalite AR-10T is chambered in 7.62 NATO and I have been shooting molly-coated Black Hills match. Alas, the range I belong to only goes out to 200 yards so I have not really taken it out for a spin (I need to join the Cascade Rifle Club for that).

For a semi-automatic rifle, I cannot stress how accurate this sucker is. The tolerances are tight and the craftsmanship is superb. Even with my meager marksmanship, I can hit 1 MOA groups from the bench. All. Day. Long. Others with the same rifle can do 1/2 MOA. It is that good.

The nice thing is the recoil. Stoner’s design mitigates a lot of it, and I cannot really feel any difference between it and say an AR-15 with a 20″ barrel. I am sure the weight helps (it is not light by any means), but as an accurate rifle platform designed for rapid follow-up shots, it is a winner.

My singular beef is the rifle did not come with a standard rail on the bottom. It would be nice to have the option of having all my rifles (present and future) use the same accessory platforms for various bipods. That is a minor nit. It is easy enough to put on your own rail.

I have a rule in my house that if the kids want to look at my firearms, all they need to do is ask. Thing Two, who is six, is very enamored of this rifle, and last night he wanted to examine it. There is something about the optic setup that tickles him. Perhaps it is the Mr. Yuck stickers on the flip-up lens covers.

One would think he would be enamored of my M4, as that is what they seem me clean all the time. I believe, however, Thing Two is a rifle snob. He knows a good rifle when he sees it.

8 comments on: Rifle Digression: the wonderful urban-centric AR-10T

1. Nils October 30, 2008 at 2:04 pm

Guns… Never shot one, and they scare the hell outta me. The sad thing is, it also means I can’t really go into too much detail about gunfire in writing. I guess it is just another thing I gotta fake.

2. Anthony October 30, 2008 at 2:11 pm

Ten minutes with my M4 is all you need.

Driving is harder. And much more dangerous. With firearms, you only have to keep track of four rules!

3. Anthony October 30, 2008 at 7:42 pm

?

If you have a fear of an inanimate object (my competition rifle), you’ve come to the wrong blog!

Breathe in, breathe out. No fainting please.

4. Alex Moore October 30, 2008 at 7:49 pm

sweet. I was wondering about the recoil.

@Nils: one author I know just went down to the gun range (you can rent a gun); voila! she had experience she could write about.

5. Alex Moore October 30, 2008 at 8:02 pm

The odd thing about this world — and by extension reality — is that simply closing your eyes doesn’t make things go away.

Another oddity of life: contemplating, exploring, engaging with, and even immersing oneself in concepts or activities foreign to one’s nature builds character. Put another way, one remains a child (not child-like nor innocent nor pure, but a child) by 1) refusing to deal with reality, 2) running away from adversity, and 3) expecting the rest of the world to comply with one’s wishes.

“Our task of creating a socialist America can only succeed when those who would resist us have been totally disarmed.” Sarah Brady

6. Anthony October 30, 2008 at 9:25 pm

My firearm stays in its holster at all times unless I am cleaning it or at the range. It does have a Mr. Yuck sticker on the holster.

That means “don’t touch” in case you didn’t know.

My hip, however, is frisky from the dance clubs of yore.

Real Knockouts: The Physical Feminism of Women’s Self-Defense

Raging feminism (not equal) loathing of firearms

Or so they say.

7. Alex Moore October 30, 2008 at 9:55 pm

hey, you’ve got me sold: sleek & sexy. totally strokable. (er…umm…the gun, not the hips)

As a hard-core raging feminist, I must say that I appreciate anything that equalizes the sexes.

I also must admit that i’ve never had the opportunity to pull the trigger on such a fine weapon as you’ve pictured here. Jealousy bites.

8. Anthony October 30, 2008 at 11:05 pm

Alex said “As a hard-core raging feminist”.

As am I. The firearm is the perfect equalizer between the sexes.

I talk about the Wife Unit all the time. I can assure you, the Wife Unit is not a lesbian.